Modern function meets heritage craft when women in the highlands of Peru hand knot these colorful belts with unique geometric patterns. The women of this fair trade cooperative have become the main support for their families by putting their traditional skills to work.
- Small fits 23" - 31" waist (58.4 - 78.7 cm)
- Medium fits 28" - 37" waist (96.5 - 94 cm)
- Large fits 34" - 43" waist (86.3 - 109.2 cm)
- Hand-woven wool exterior with cotton lining and steel buckle
- Embroidery is unique for every belt
- Two-pronged buckle with reinforced steel grommets
- Approximately 2.5" W (6.4 cm)
- Handmade in and fairly traded from Peru
Made by: Jenny Krauss Designs
Jenny Krauss Designs started on a trip to Peru in 2008. Jenny fell in love with the traditional embroidery from a region called Ayacucho; she started a social business that now employs 1600 artisans. Most of the artisans are women who work at home with their children playing nearby.
Jenny Krauss is committed to sustaining traditions and creating sustainable livelihoods through artistic collaborations. Jenny Krauss Designs combines modern function and design with heritage craft when women in the highlands of Peru hand-embroider these colorful belts with unique patterns.
For the women the simple act of selling something they made with their hands gives them a sense of pride and accomplishment - something they had never experienced before. The women of this fair trade cooperative have become the main support for their families by putting their traditional skills to work.